ENCORE PRESENTATION – WEBINAR featuring Steven Toscher and Michel Stein – New IRS Scrutiny of Cryptocurrency Reporting: Filing Requirements and Exchange Treatment
New IRS Scrutiny of Cryptocurrency Reporting: Filing Requirements and Exchange Treatment
April 24, 2018 – 10:00 a.m. – 11:30 p.m. (Pacific)
Due to an overwhelming popularity, Steven Toscher and Michel Stein will be hosting an encore presentation of the Strafford Webinar “New IRS Scrutiny of Cryptocurrency Reporting: Filing Requirements and Exchange Treatment”
The panel will provide tax counsel, accountants and other advisers with a critical look at new IRS initiatives on taxpayer compliance and reporting obligations for cryptocurrency (e.g. Bitcoin, Ethereum, etc.) transactions. The panel will discuss the IRS position on cryptocurrency as property rather than cash, analyze IRS monitoring to increase compliance, possible IRS examinations and criminal investigations and prosecutions for failing to properly report cryptocurrency transactions and define proper reporting and tax treatment for “mining” and exchanging cryptocurrency.
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- What are the income tax-reporting requirements for cryptocurrency exchanges?
- What position will IRS take on whether the exchange of cryptocurrency qualifies for “like-kind” Section 1031 treatment, and the impact of the newly enacted Tax Cut and Jobs Act of 2017?
- What is the impact of the recent enforcement of the IRS “John Doe” summons to Coinbase?
- What are the disclosure requirements for crypto-currency ownership that might be considered located in a foreign country?
- How to use the IRS Voluntary Disclosure policy to get into compliance and the availability of “qualified amended returns” to avoid penalties?
For more information and to register: